Seoul, South Korea 2012
Considering its importance and necessity in problem solving, Cause Effect Chain Analysis is not so well organized from the viewpoint of how to build Cause Effect Chains. For example, Cause Effect Chains are a description of ‘time-dependent events’ with some exceptions like cost problem. However, Function Analysis, one of supporting tools for construction of Cause Effect Chains, is not proper to deal with phenomena of ‘time-dependent transition’. In another perspective, Cause Effect Chains must provide a set of exhaustive problem models to be used for solution idea generation with TRIZ tools. This is significantly related to the completeness of Cause Effect Chains. So far, only several suggestions are found about this in TRIZ field. In order to improve the points discussed above, the applicant offers a new way to conduct Cause Effect Chain Analysis. The objective of the submitted work is to develop a system of step-by-step guidelines and recommendations on how to construct Cause Effect Chains and what criteria we should follow for better analysis.
The proposed process is mainly composed of the following steps:
1. Identification of an undesirable event (a target disadvantage) as the final target
2. Identification of an object which has the disadvantage
3. Application of Multi Screen Thinking composing of Time and System Axes
4. Construction of Function Analysis and Parameter Analysis on Multi Screens with Pointers to Effects and Function Oriented Search based on the result of Multi Screen Thinking
5. Construction of the initial version of Cause Effect Chains
6. Revision of the initial version guided by ‘Ideal Cause Effect Chain Model’
7. Classification of disadvantages into mainly 3 groups of substance field models in order to apply inventive standards systematically
The novelty of the approach is as follows:
1. For the first time ever it allows to apply Multi Screen Thinking composing of Function Analysis and Parameter Analysis along Time and System Axes as a systematic guide to build Cause Effect chains. The applicant introduces a step by step and concrete procedure of Multi Screen Thinking application with Function Analysis and Parameter Analysis.
2. An absolutely new guide of Cause Effect chains is the ‘Ideal Cause Effect Chain Model’ composed of series of 'one by one' of status statements and interaction statements for examination of the completeness of the Cause Effect Chains and guiding a solver to find right resources as causes. The ‘Ideal Cause Effect Chain Model’ leads us to find missing causes or effects and formulate problematic situations more systematically for easier application of TRIZ idea generation tools
3. For the first time, it suggests a guide to match disadvantage events with proper inventive standards according to the type of description.
The developed method has been very successfully used in various projects for different leading corporations worldwide – Samsung Electronics, Samsung SDI, LG Display, POSCO, Hyundai Motors, Hyundai Mobis, and Amore Pacific, etc.